Bay Area Commuter Benefits Program
The Commuter Benefits Program is an air quality rule administered by the Air District and Metropolitan Transportation Commission. Bay Area employers with 50 or more full time employees in the Air District’s nine county jurisdiction are required to provide benefits option to their employees:
- Option 1 - A pre-tax benefit that allows employees to exclude their transit or vanpool cost from taxable income in accordance with section 132(F) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Option 2 -An employer provided transit subsidy
- Option 3 -An employer provided shuttle or vanpool
- Option 4 - An alternative commuter benefit that is as effective in reducing single occupancy vehicle trips
- Option 5 – A policy allowing telework one or more days a week for all employees whose assignments can be performed remotely.