An employee survey may reveal the best commute alternatives to promote and
illuminate the pain points for your employees. Start by asking employees about
their commute to ﬁnd out their satisfaction with their current options and to
inform ways to reﬁne or augment your commute program.
1. Use a mix of methodologies, including online surveys and paper-based
surveys. While online surveys save money and are easier and faster to collect,
paper surveys are essential to reach groups who don’t have immediate access to
the Internet (e.g., warehouse workers, delivery personnel).
2. Assure employees that their responses are 100 percent
3. Promote the survey! Talk about the survey in multiple formats, and get
creative. Use posters, table tents, newsletters, intranet postings, and even
your email signature to generate excitement.
4. Monitor participation in real-time and share the company’s progress,
especially if results are tracked by teams or departments.
5. Reward employees for completing the survey individually or teams with
the highest participation rate.
6. Run your survey at the same time each year to measure improvement from
previous years’ surveys and to look for new opportunities for
The Spare the Air Employer Program developed an employee transportation
survey template with common questions to help you plan and monitor your commute
program. If you would like a template in Survey Monkey, please request access to
the template by emailing Info@employerssparetheair.org.